SOCIAL MEDIA

1/13/09

Deryn Mentock's Jewelry Challenge Project #11: "Tin Lid Pin"



YEA!!! I have finally finished the next project, Project #11: "Tin Lid Pin", in Mary Hettmansperger's book, Wrap, Stitch, Fold & Rivet for Deryn Mentock's Summer Jewelry Challenge. It was so nice to have a few hours to sit still and create - life can get so busy, can't it?

The techniques shown in the example are:

  • Forging wire
  • Doing a sumac weave
  • Making wire-wrapped loops

For the base, I used a lid from a Starbuck's beverage that I heat-treated and sanded. I then drilled a whole lot of holes in the lid - my lid was bigger than the example, so I had 37 of them!

I then found the objects for the center design of the piece and riveted them together:

  • an aerator screen from a faucet - heat treated
  • a mirror rosette, pounded flat and colored with alcohol ink, then riveted to the center of the piece and manipulated to resemble flower petals

Following the instructions, I threaded wire through each hole from the back that had been forged on one end, stopping the wire from pulling all the way through. Then I proceeded to weave 28-gauge wire around the piece until I was h appy with the depth of the weave. I secured the ends of the wire and pounded the piece flat, making sure to first secure the 37 wire ends on the underside of the piece with a piece of adhesive-backed copper sheet.

What resulted was a pendant/ornament that looks great hanging in my workroom window - on to the next project!

.

Fanciful Expressions said...

I really like the look of your new header. Also,
that is a beautiful piece that you did. How clever you are to use a faucet aerator....so imaginative.

Looking forward to more.

Hugs,
Carolyn

Diane said...

Oh, this is so beautiful! What a great job Molly. I know you are well pleased =)

Beth said...

hi molly !!! this is wonderful !!!! just love it ! thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog , you always make my day !!
xo,
beth

Anonymous said...

This is so cool, Molly!! You are such an amazing artist in everything you do! I look forward to your next creation.
Hugs,
Tami

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I'm afraid I've fallen off the "Challenge Wagon". It seems I never have time to just play. I'll have to try harder.

Stephani Gorman said...

Molly, It is just AWESOME!!! Hugs, Stephani

Chris said...

Molly this is GREAT! And thank you for detailing the process you used to create it~~